Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Octuplets

Wow. Octuplets. Can you even imagine? How incredible and insane and amazing to have 8 babies growing inside you. The human body is an amazing thing to be capable of such a feat.

This woman, Nadya Suleman, who recently became famous for giving birth to octuplets is not, I believe, a bad person. I admire her courage. I admire her for not "selectively reducing" her pregnancy. She may, however, have some issues with attachment and love, but I don't think that she's a bad mother because of it. She may not be able to give those babies everything in the world, but it seems that she loves them, and their 6 other siblings, very much.

I find fault with the media in this situation, who have vilified this woman. Made her out to be insane, incapable, and fame-hungry. I'm also disgusted that companies like Huggies, Inafamil, Graco and the like have publicly said they will not be helping this woman with donations for her new brood. Maybe we don't agree with her decisions, don't understand why she's choosing to create such a large family with little help, and maybe in our eyes this situation is not one we would want to be in, but are these companies and the media punishing the mother and as a result hurting the babies? That's what I see. I see a family who could desperately use some help from all over, but because of the unconventional circumstances, those who are in a position to help are pulling away.

It's discrimination, and it disgusts me. These poor little babies don't deserve to be neglected. The mother should have considered her circumstances before going ahead with the decision to create so many babies, but regardless of how they arrived on this planet, all babies are a gift from God and should be treated as such.

I don't know, I may change my mind about some of these details later, but I won't change my mind about this woman needing help, and I will forever be ashamed of those who turned their backs on her.

Pray for her and all 14 of her children.


1 comment:

Dad29 said...

Made her out to be insane, incapable, and fame-hungry.

Actually, they reported the facts in this particular case.

No father, by the way--